· Development of the mine will include construction of a crushing and process plant, a 160MW hydroelectric dam and power station, maritime ports, 120km of new access roads, large mining infrastructure and an airport. The entire infrastructure will be loed within the rugged highlands of Papua New Guinea. Mining the copper and gold deposits
Mining a Sacred Land Freeport in West Papua Published by MAC on . Mining a Sacred Land Freeport in West Papua. Abigail Abrash Walton. Carnegie Council on Ethics and International Affairs Human Rights Dialogue: "Environmental Rights" Series 2, No. 11. Spring 2004
History of West Papua Early days West Papua was originally populated by Melanesian people some tens of thousands of years ago. After little contact with the Western world, it was finally formally colonised by the Netherlands in 1898. The islands that now make up Indonesia were also colonised by the.
· West Papua is home to one of the world's largest gold mines (and third largest copper mine), known as the Grasberg Mine. Grasberg is majorityowned by the American mining firm Freeport McMoRan. It has reserves worth an estimated 100 billion, .
West Papua Mine. West Papua, Indonesia. The Grasberg mine operated by Freeport McMoRan and jointly owned by Freeport and Rio Tinto is one of the largest mining clusters on the globe. The mine is loed in the very remote highlands of the Sudirman mountain range in the province of Papua.
· Alongside its core work providing a platform for Human Rights advoes, the Resource Centre runs several focused programme areas and regularly releases .
Ok Tedi Mining Limited (OTML) operates an open pit mine in the Star Mountains region of the Western Province of Papua New Guinea. The Ok Tedi project is loed in the head waters of the Fly River system, only 18 kilometres from Indonesia's, West Papua border.
· Grasberg mine has the single largest known gold reserve and the second largest copper reserves in the world. It is loed 96km north of Timika, at Tembagapura in Irian Jaya – the most easterly of Indonesia's provinces – on the western half of the island of New Guinea.
· West Papua is home to one of the world's largest gold mines (and third largest copper mine), known as the Grasberg Mine, which is majorityowned by the American mining firm Freeport McMoRan. The mine has reserves worth an estimated 100 billion, and the American company is reportedly Indonesia's biggest taxpayer – hence the cover from the Indonesian military.
· Thousands of West Papuans have demonstrated in Jayapura, calling for the closure of the massive Freeport gold mine in Mimika regency. They're also demanding Indonesian security forces withdraw from the area around the mine where a standoff continues with the West Papua National Liberation Army, or TPN.
CASE #14: MINING IN WEST PAPUA The Grasberg mine in West Papua, New Guinea is the largest, most productive openpit copper mine in the world and may be the largest source of gold for the foreseeable future. PT Freeport, the Indonesian subsidiary of mining giant FreeportMcMoran, has owned and operated
· PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (June 8, 2000 The National/PINA Nius Online)Freeport Copper's big West Papua coppergold mine appears destined to be caught up in a major political confrontation between West Papuans and the Indonesian Government following a congress in Port Numberi (formerly Jayapura) which has announced the formation of an independent government.
· By permanently integrating West Papua into its territory, Indonesia has secured full and uncontrolled access to West Papua's vast concentration of natural resources. The Grasberg mining complex has been operated by PT Freeport since 1967, with extracting activities continuously expanding.
West Papua Mine. West Papua, Indonesia. The Grasberg mine operated by Freeport McMoRan and jointly owned by Freeport and Rio Tinto is one of the largest mining clusters on the globe. The mine is loed in the very remote highlands of the Sudirman mountain range in the province of Papua, Indonesia. ...
· Papua rebels raise hell near Indonesia's richest mine. Free Papua Movement kills a regional intelligence chief in an escalation of violence around the Grasberg copper and gold mine. Papuan rebels have upped the tempo of their resistance to Jakarta. Image: Facebook.
WestPapua leven en werken in Nederlands Nieuw Guinea in de periode . Voor hen die zich verbonden voelen met Nederlands Nieuw Guinea en WestPapua
· But the mine pays its workers, who are overwhelmingly Papuan, just an hour. Although it houses Indonesia's biggest taxpayer, West Papua is the nation's poorest province – profits are simply not going to the Papuans. There is a huge divide between the rural and the urban in West Papua.